Welcome, visitor! [ Register | Login



Restoring An IPhone 15 Pro Max With A Broken Titanium Frame

  • Street: 37 Boulevard De Prague
  • City: Nogent-Sur-Marne
  • State: Ohio
  • Country: France
  • Zip/Postal Code: 94130
  • Listed: 21 Haziran 2024 03:27
  • Expires: 66 days, 22 hours


Restoring an iPhone 15 Pro Max is no small feat, especially when it has been through a dramatic ordeal. This particular iPhone 15 Pro Max took a fall at high speed, tumbling out of a pocket and onto a motorway while the owner was traveling at 110 km/h on a motorcycle. The impact was so severe that it snapped a section of the titanium frame clean off.

I acquired this heavily damaged iPhone for AUD 565, which is about USD 370. It was a significant amount for a broken phone, but with the price of a new iPhone 15 Pro Max at around USD 2500, I hoped that restoring this device would be a cost-effective alternative. The phone arrived in its original box with all the accessories, including the missing section of the frame, which would be crucial for the repair.

The high-speed impact exposed a weak point in Apple’s titanium frame design. The antenna lines, which separate sections of the frame to improve reception, turned out to be the most vulnerable spot during such severe impacts. Upon closer inspection, I found a third fracture in the frame, revealing a cross-section of the phone’s structure. Beneath a thin layer of titanium, there was stainless steel and a significant amount of plastic, indicating that the frame, while strong, was not as robust as it might seem.

Replacement frames for the iPhone 15 Pro Max were expensive, costing over USD 450 on sites like AliExpress. I initially found a cheaper one for USD 37, but it never shipped. Apple’s self-service repair store didn’t stock iPhone 15 parts at the time, leaving me with no option but to attempt the repair myself.

Opening the phone was the first challenge. The back glass, front display, and charge port needed to be removed. Due to the severe damage, I didn’t have to worry about removing the bottom screws, as the whole bottom of the phone horizontally – https://maps.app.goo.gl/Nz82TJX9ZYXbGDB19 was missing. With careful application of heat and using tools to gently pry open the phone, I managed to get inside and remove the display.

Testing the phone with a new display temporarily attached, it sprang to life, suggesting the internal components had survived the crash. This was a good sign, so I proceeded with the repair. The charging port and mounting brackets were damaged, necessitating a replacement, which Apple didn’t sell at the time. I had to buy one pulled from another phone at a premium price.

Removing the damaged charge port required dismantling several components, including the logic board, which had to be taken out to free the port. The battery was another challenge, stuck with adhesive that needed to be softened with alcohol. Finally, the charge port was freed, and I could start cleaning up and preparing for reassembly.

The back glass panel of the iPhone 15 Pro Max is designed to be more repair-friendly than previous models, which were essentially welded on with adhesive. After removing the damaged panel, I salvaged components like the wireless charging coil, LED flash, and microphone, transferring them to a new back panel. With the damaged frame sections cleaned and realigned – https://www.buzznet.com/?s=realigned using clamps, pliers, and a hammer, I glued the pieces back in place.

As the glue set, I prepared the new back glass panel, ensuring it was securely attached to the repaired frame. The liquid adhesive was messy, but it provided strong bonding where needed. Once the back panel was in place, I reinstalled the logic board, battery, and all other components, ensuring each screw and cable was correctly reattached.

The final step was installing a new display, transferring necessary components from the old display, and sealing everything back up. The result was a fully functional iPhone 15 Pro Max, albeit with some minor software limitations due to Apple’s restrictions on third-party repairs.

In total, the restoration cost about AUD 1300 (USD 850), saving over AUD 1250 compared to buying a new device. Despite the challenges and costs, the phone now works perfectly, with Face ID, wireless charging, and all other functions intact. This restoration not only brought an expensive device back to life but also highlighted the complexities and rewards of repairing modern smartphones.


16 total views, 1 today


Listing ID: 5146674c8e4da746

Report problem

Processing your request, Please wait....