Welcome, visitor! [ Register | Login

 

$173.00

Never Try to Fix This iPad Pro Restoration

  • Street: 991 Red Maple Drive
  • City: South Gate
  • State: California
  • Country: United States
  • Zip/Postal Code: 90280
  • Listed: 22 Haziran 2024 05:20
  • Expires: 57 days, 1 hour

Description

Hi guys, welcome back to another Hugh Jeffreys video. Today, we’re tackling a well-abused iPad Pro sent in by a viewer. The back is covered in deep scratches and dents, making it look like it was dragged across concrete. The front display is shattered, barely holding on, and the home button has fallen inside, rendering it non-functional.

#### Background

The viewer, Happy Phone from Gemana, Australia, bought the iPad for fifty dollars. It had a screen that was beyond shattered. After replacing the display, they only used it for a week before dropping it on concrete, resulting in the damage we see here. This is a first-generation iPad Pro with 32GB of storage, running iOS 13.0 beta. While the iPad still somewhat functions, the fingerprint reader is disabled, and the touch input doesn’t work in all areas.

#### Initial Inspection

Taking a closer look, the home button’s bracket is loose, and there seems to be a piece of paper jammed inside. As this iPad was donated, I decided to go all out and replace all the damaged parts to make it look new again. Thanks to iFixit for sponsoring this video and supplying a new display. You can get parts, tools, and guides at iFixit.com/Jeffreys.

#### Disassembly

Getting inside the iPad was easier than usual due to the poorly attached display, which I could just lift off. Inside, it was missing screws and had damage to the shields. The old adhesive wasn’t properly cleaned off, explaining why the display didn’t hold.

Next, I removed the front display, taking out the two screws holding its bracket and disconnecting its flex cables. After removing any remaining glass around the perimeter, I unfastened all screws on the bracket over the logic board. There was also a missing screw here, requiring me to find replacements later.

After disconnecting the battery, I tackled the speaker assembly, which was held in with incredibly strong adhesive and several cables. It required careful prying to avoid damage. Following this, I removed the headphone jack to clear the path for the speaker assembly.

#### Logic Board and Battery

Removing the logic board was challenging due to the adhesive holding it down. I unplugged all connecting cables, taking extra care around the soldered charging port and upper flex cable. The battery was similarly glued down, requiring a significant amount of alcohol to break down the adhesive.

#### The Setback

Everything was going according to plan until I encountered the smart connector port. Despite being held in with a bracket, it was glued in beyond anything I’d seen. No method I tried could dislodge it, and eventually, the cable broke off. This halted the project for 12 months until I could find a replacement. Many months later, I found one on iFixit, allowing the project to continue.

#### Continuing the Restoration

Proceeding with the restoration, I removed the remaining components from the old frame, including the speakers, antenna, and various buttons. The magnets used for Apple cases were especially tough to remove due to their strong adhesive and hard-to-reach placement.

Reassembling began with installing the speaker grilles – https://www.behance.net/search/projects/?sort=appreciations&time=week&search=speaker%20grilles in each corner, followed by the antenna and volume buttons. I glued the microphone back into position before installing the power button and its flex cable, followed by the camera and LED flash.

The next step was gluing all the magnets back into the new casing. To ensure correct alignment, I attached an Apple Smart Cover case before the glue dried. With the magnets in place, I installed the retaining brackets.

#### Final Assembly

The logic board was installed next, hoping the iPad would still function after over a year without power. I then fitted the new battery, connecting the smart connector and securing it with screws. The headphone jack, front-facing iphone 4 camera repair – https://maps.App.goo.gl/vxbw2tT3e56zGff7A, and upper speakers were reinstalled, followed by the charging port and bottom speakers.

After replacing the missing screws with those harvested from a donor iPad mini, I attached the adhesive for the new display panel. Salvaging the old home button, I installed it into the new display, ensuring it was secured against the glass to prevent it from falling inside the iPad again.

#### Testing and Conclusion

With the new display connected, it was time to test the iPad. It powered on, and everything appeared to be working. I cleaned the inside with a microfiber cloth and removed all protective films before pressing the display firmly into place. After letting the adhesive set for a few hours, I removed the final protective film, revealing a fully restored iPad Pro.

This restoration was one of the most involved tech projects I’ve undertaken. The extraordinary amount of adhesive made it a nightmare to repair. Using a case to prevent scratches or hide them is much

Listing ID: 475667634d8460c6

Report problem

Processing your request, Please wait....